Monday, September 5, 2011

Orange Butter Cake: Delicious twist to regular butter cake







Uncle J’s birthday celebration is on this Saturday. All relatives are invited, and Aunty J request for a regular butter cake for her hubby because Uncle J eats no other cake other than butter cake. He will not touch cheese cake nor chocolate cake.
Ju is right, citrusy fruit goes so well with buttercake, its zesty orangy aroma blend perfectly with buttery moist cake. I think from now on, I will not make plain butter cake anymore. My butter cake will be orange flavoured all the time!

I am more than happy to fulfill this order as it gives me another opportunity to try out my buttercake recipe. This would be my 3rd attempt. But I want to make something different this time. I was inspired after reading Ju’s blog about how she “accidentally” added orange zest into her butter cake and out came a fragrant moist cake. I decided to follow suit.

Orange Butter Cake 
My original buttercake post is here

Ingredients
·         250g butter (I use SCS unsalted)
·         210g castor sugar (I reduced to 190g)
·         4 eggs (I lightly beat before mixing in)
·         For this cake, I changed to 1 tablespoon of orange zest  
    or zest of 1 big orange
·         200g self-raising flour, sifted with 1/2 tsp salt
·         4 tbsp fresh UHT milk (I use Farmhouse full-fat milk)

Method
1.  Grease and line a 20cm cake tin (or 8” tin) with greased greaseproof paper. Preheat oven to 170°C.
2.  Cream butter and sugar until light and creamy. Add orange zest. Then, add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition until mixture is light and fluffy. Add essence.
3.  Fold in sifted flour gradually to mix. Finally stir in milk. Mix until well combined.
4.  Turn out mixture into prepared tin. Level out mixture at the sides but allow a shallow well in the centre. This is to enable the cake to level up evenly during baking.
5.  Bake in preheated oven for 55-60 minutes or until cooked through when tested with a skewer.


© copyright fiddling with recipe 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment

It is all about sharing and good conversation here. we'd love to hear your thoughts.

Be sure to check back back, we do make every efforts to reply to your comments here.